Review of E-Book: The Curiosity Files™- Puffer Fish
I can’t tell you how excited I was to be asked to review the unit study from The Old Schoolhouse (TOS)! I have seen many ads for their products, but had never purchased anything. I just wasn’t sure what they were all about or if they were quality materials. Well, my mind is now made up! When I downloaded and opened the ebook I was hooked within seconds, REALLY! The content and quality are outstanding. Let me give you a run down of what I received:
Explorations with Professor Ana Lyze – Expert in Outlandish Oddities – A FUN unit study for kids ages 8–13
What’s included in this unit:
- Bible study and memory verses
- Math, history, and geography investigations
- Literature and suggested book list
- Writing, spelling, and vocabulary activities
- Beautiful copywork pages (manuscript and cursive)
- Science observations, projects, and experiments
- Discussion questions
- Art, crafts, drawing, and coloring pages
- Lapbook and notebook pages
- Internet resources and video links
- Complete answer key
It is 77 pages of pure fun and learning at the same time, and we all know that kids learn best when they enjoy the process! So, do you know how puffer fish puff? (try to say that three times!) Are they really filled with air? Thanks to the fun activities and information in the ebook, our family has been pufferized! Here’s what impressed me:
- Everything you need to teach is in one location. You don’t have to hunt down books and websites that will work. They have done the research for you and included websites. They also have researched puffer fish and written the information your kids want to know in easy to read language. Because of that, it doesn’t go in one ear and out the other. My kids were learning while having fun, so they didn’t have that “glazed over” look in their eyes!
- Lapbook and notebook pages. I have become huge fan of lapbooks recently (as many of you know) and it’s all included.
- Answer key. You don’t have to go hunting to find an answer or spend time trying to figure out if it is right!
- Totally usable for a variety of ages. I loved that my 7 year old got things out of this along with my 11 year old. My 4 year old loved listening in on our reading and loved the pictures included.
- It really does include activities for Math (time, measurement, mulitiplication, exchange rates). There is a smorgasbord of things to choose from that will include all of your children.
- It also includes fun ways to learn language arts, spelling, vocabulary, and handwriting.
- It also has hands on activities for your kids to do. Paper mache puffer fish, etc (supplies not included)
- It is downloadable. You don’t have to wait to get it in the mail.
- I can print out which activities we want to do and as many copies as we need for our family.
- It was a great break from our regular curriculum (Sonlight).
- I loved that it includes God (without feeling like they tried to awkwardly force it in!)
My three oldest children loved the unit study. (Ages 7-11) We didn’t complete every activity. With more planning I would have done more of the activiites. However, I still couldn’t be happier with this product. With all that said, I have one minor complaint. When I printed specific pages to do I looked at the page numbers on the PDF pages. They are not the same as what my printer thought were the page numbers. No biggie, I just have to pay better attention next time.
Curiosity Files have other topics than just puffer fish, such as:
- Blue Diamond
- Dung Beetle
- Puffer Fish
- Red Tide
- Zombie Fire Ants
- Blue-footed Booby
- Cicada Killing Wasp
Most of these ebooks are $6.95, but right now a few of them are $1.00. Yes, you read that right! $1.00!! For the price of a newspaper or a McDonald’s Sweet Tea you can’t go wrong. Rush over to The Old Schoolhouse Store right now and buy them before it’s too late, and let me know which ones you get!