Sacha’s<25: An e-novel about 9 year old Violet Remy and her group of homeschool friends who discover a mysterious package while on a field trip to the wetlands.
Home in the Trenches Product Rating (out of 10 stars)
Is it worth our time? 10 stars
Did it help us learn? 10 stars
Is it worth the money? 10 stars
Was it fun? 10 stars
Practicality- 10 stars
Quality- 10 stars
Kid Rating- 10 stars
I was contacted by the author, Angie Renich, in October to see if I would be willing to review her first e-published children’s fiction book for and about homeschoolers. Angie has worked in the publishing industry for more than 15 years, doing everything from editing to cover design to ebook programming. She lives with her husband and four homeschooled children in Oregon’s Willamette Valley.
When her oldest daughter was in elementary school, she found herself hunting fruitlessly for modern children’s fiction that featured homeschool kids. Finding very little, she decided to write her own. That’s how The One and Only Miss Violet Remy was born.
I was a bit unsure how the whole ebook/kindle reader thing worked….but I thought that I would give it a go! If you haven’t downloaded any ebooks from Amazon, it is actually really simple, and you can choose what device you want it sent to. I had it sent to my iphone and ipad and my daughter’s ipod touch. I actually read the whole book on my iPhone. Having it with me all the time was so convenient! The layout of the text on the pages was perfect!
I shot through this book. It is easy to read and made me want to keep reading! The flow of the story was great and the messages along the way are perfect for kids! I am really looking forward to using it as a read aloud to my kids this summer (although Joy will finish it before we make it to summer)!
Some of the goals of this book:
- Angie wrote the book for her oldest daughter because she wanted her to have a story about kids like her, who were in a non-traditional school setting.
- to be first and foremost entertaining, but also biblically moral without hitting the reader over the head with religiosity (if that makes sense).
- to be educational in a subtle way; that is, wrapping plot points in educational info so that the reader learned while being entertained.
- to point kids to other good children’s literature.
What I liked:
- The messages in this book are well placed and not cheesy. They include things like doing what’s right, being a child of God, perseverance, etc. All things that as a parent I was thrilled to have my child read about and see Violet and her friends going through and learning!
- The book was free from errors and was laid out well. (Compared to some of the other books I have reviewed this year!)
- This book would be great for homeschool kids, as well as those in a more traditional setting….I know that there is “mystery” surrounding homeschoolers-what a great way to “see” what they do!
- How cool to have a book that is about homeschooled kids? LOVE IT!
- In case you are wondering, I have added this to My Ongoing Book List for Kids! We loved it that much!
What I didn’t like:
- NOTHING! I really loved this book and it made me happy reading it knowing how much my kids and your kids will love reading it too! I am really hoping that there will be other books about Violet and her friends coming soon!
Here is the AWESOME PART! I get to giveaway a copy to one lucky reader!
Here is the important info on how to enter the giveaway for 1 copy of the ebook The One and Only Miss Violet Remy:
In order to be entered in the giveaway you must:
–Head over to the Facebook page for The One and Only Miss Violet Remy and like it. Leave her a comment telling her Home in the Trenches sent you! Once you have done that leave me a comment (on this post) telling me that you did!
For Additional Entries:
–Follow me on GFC or Networked Blogs and leave me a comment!
–Share this giveaway on your facebook status and leave me a comment that you did!
–Tweet about this giveaway and leave me a comment that you did!
This giveaway will end Wednesday December 7th at NOON CST! (Please make sure that I have an email address to contact you if you won!)
The important information:
The One and Only Miss Violet Remy
By Angie Renich
e-book available on Amazon.com
list price $3.99
Product description: Nine-year-old Violet Remy and her group of homeschool friends discover a mysterious package while on a field trip to the wetlands.
Recommended reading age: 7 – 12, depending on the reader. But I think it’s enjoyable for all ages.
Sample chapters available at here!