IXL.com: A Schoolhouse Crew Review
Sacha’s<25: An online, math subscription to IXL provides over 2,000 skills spanning pre-k to algebra ready to help reinforce what your kids are already learning.
Home in the Trenches Product Rating (out of 10 stars)
Is it worth our time? 8 stars
Did it help us learn? 8 stars
Is it worth the money? 8 stars
Is it useful to me? 8 stars
Practicality- 9 stars
Quality- 10 stars
Kid Rating- 8 stars
We received a free membership for up to 3 family members from IXL.com for a full 6 months! Very generous of them and I am super excited that the kids will be able to use it so long….as they like it and don’t consider it so much like school! I just let the kids work on whatever topics they wanted to do within their grade level. I consider this just to be great practice/review over the summer. During the school year I will be more choosey as to what they work on, maybe choosing topics they need more work on or to introduce a new topic we are getting ready to study.
Have you heard that they lose 2 1/2 months of what they had already learned over the summer? I’m not willing to give up that much time or energy that we have put into anything for a summer break! This is a great website to have your kids work on over the summer to make sure they don’t lose the ground they covered during the school year.
I didn’t get any complaints from any of my 3 kids-going into K, 3rd, 7th this fall-on using IXL. They were happy to do it. I do get looks when I ask them to do regular math books! But yes, they still do these as well this summer!
From IXL.com website:
Piles of textbooks, stacks of worksheets—no wonder kids get frustrated studying math. They’d rather be playing on the computer, so let them! They’ll be giggling as IXL asks them to count the hippos, cheering as they earn medals and awards, and, best of all, they’ll be learning. (Shhh, don’t tell!)
- Complete coverage of math curriculum from pre-K to algebra. Your kids won’t miss a thing!
- Unlimited questions in over 2,000 skills.
- Fun and colorful practice formats.
- Questions that adapt to your child’s ability, increasing in difficulty as they improve.
- Immediate feedback and question-specific explanations to solidify understanding of each concept.
- Audio for all pre-K through first-grade skills.
- Weekly e-mail updates on your child’s progress.
- Informative, detailed reports pointing out successes and trouble spots.
- Awards and certificates for you and your children to print out as they reach important milestones.
What I liked:
- The parent reports are emailed to me each week–so I don’t even have to remember to log on to see what my kids have been working on. And the parent reports are very thorough. Below is a portion of the email report I received on what my kids had worked on. It gives lots of information….just what I like!
- If you log on to look at reports..wow…they will tell you everything you wanted to know and a whole bunch more…
- What a steal to add extra family members! Really appreciate this from IXL! $2/per kid/month or $20/per kid/year to add on is really reasonable!
- If you need to, you can put your membership on hold for up to 3 months…no wasted subscription.
- Joy said, “Well it is math, but it is fun!” So if she is enjoying doing something she doesn’t really enjoy doing I am a happy camper!
- There is just so much to choose from….plenty of topics for each grade level to work on!
- Love the monthly or yearly subscription options.
What I didn’t like:
- There are awards/certificates you can print when your child hits a milestone. My kids earned them for 100 problems done, 1 hour of math etc. I printed them out for my kids….they could have cared less. These might be a motivator to some kids, but weren’t to mine…they hit the trash.
To sum it up: Are your kids struggling in math? Are you wanting to reinforce what they are learning? Or are you wanting them to keep reviewing math over the summer? Then this program is for you and your family! Easy to use, Fun for your kids. Check it out….You are able to have you kids sample it by completing up to 20 questions for free.
The important information:
Order from: IXL.com
Price: $9.95 per month (add add’l kids for $2/mo) or $79 for the year (add add’l kids for $20/mo).
To read other Schoolhouse Crew reviews of this product click here.