Sacha’s<25: A study of Godly strength, designed for boys ages 10 and up, which helps boys learn different methods of studying the Bible.
Home in the Trenches Product Rating (out of 10 stars)
Is it worth our time? 9 stars
Did it help us learn? 9 stars
Is it worth the money? 9 stars
Is it useful to me? 9 stars
Practicality- 9 stars
Quality- 10 stars
As a mom of boys I am always looking for great ways to get them excited about the Bible while teaching them more than just Bible stories. I want them to learn the Bible and how to apply it to their lives! I was very happy to get to review Because You Are Strong (A Study of Godly Strength for Young Men) from Doorposts. I simply love this company and all of the different products they have to offer. If you haven’t checked out their website or seen them at a homeschool convention you should definitely take some time to peruse their website. Their mission is to provide Bible-based parenting and character training materials! They want to come along side you as you serve God by raising up godly children who love and obey His Word. Their goal is to provide you with tools that make your job easier. Can I say, “Thank you, Doorposts!”? We have used many of their products already.
If you are looking for a Bible study for yourself I highly suggest Thirty Days of Bible Study for Busy Mamas, which focuses on the book of Colossians. I was able to do this study a while back and really enjoyed it. (It is on sale as well right now!)
I was super excited to get my hands on this study! I have found that is isn’t very easy to find Bible study materials that are age appropriate and engage my kids, as well guide them in how to study the Bible. I loved that even though this is written for boys there are optional discussion questions for girls in the back of the study guide. So even though it is written for boys you could have a sister tag along and use those discussion questions when the others wouldn’t apply to her.
This study is written with 2 goals in mind:
- to gain a biblical understanding of strength
- to learn and practice Bible study skills
I love that this study is teaching different methods of Bible Study. This wasn’t something I learned until I was in college! It is so important to me that kids learn different methods that I taught a whole Bible study for girls on how to study the Bible at our homeschool co-op. This would be a really awesome study to do with boys in a co-op setting as well.
This book is written with 10 studies divided into daily segments. There are 74 days worth of study within this book but with all the additional ideas at the end of the studies you can really stretch this study to cover almost a whole school year! (I’m not sure I would stretch it that long, but it offers it as an option!) Each of the daily studies should take anywhere from 5-20 minutes to complete.
With this study your children will need a few additional Bible study tools: Nave’s Topical Bible as well as Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance (if you don’t have those things the study offers suggestions on how to look up information online). It would also help to have a Bible (duh!) and some colored pencils to mark your Bible.
The 10 main chapters include studies by topic, word, verse, chapter, actions, and book of the Bible. The 11th chapter reviews everything learned about strength through the study. Through this study boys will learn how to use a concordance, study original Greek and Hebrew words, learn how to understand and use the marginal notes in the Bible as well as learn how to use online Bible study tools. Due to the timing of this review I read through this material myself because my boys were tied up in an in-depth study of 1st John for the Bible Bee. I enjoyed looking through this material and am excited to have my sons (almost 14 and 9) work through this study now that the Bible Bee ended this weekend!
What I liked:
- Kids will learn lots of different ways to study the Bible. It really gives them a great sampling of methods and keeps the pace moving with variety to stay away from monotony.
- I love the boxes in the side bar with other info, helpful tips, ideas for additional studies, etc.
- What a great topic to get boys interested in as well as learn about!
- I appreciated all of the application questions to help boys understand how to be doers of the word and not just hearers!
- Now I know this is going to sound silly but I have to share this. I love how the book lays flat while you are working on it. There are nice wide margins where you can add extra notes and it makes it easy to answer the questions in the book because you aren’t dealing with the pages bending weirdly in the middle of the book.
- The study leaves plenty of rooms for the boys to fill in answers. I hate when I am answering questions and there isn’t enough room to finish my thoughts!
What I didn’t like:
- Not a deal breaker, but the book used King James translation of the Bible. It would be awesome if they had different versions for different Bibles. We really prefer ESV and I find it easier for the kids to understand. (I understand why they did this because the study tools use King James).
To sum it up: Wow, I am really excited that this Bible study is available for boys. The awesome folks at Doorposts have one available just for girls as well. And if you are a busy mom there is one for you…30 days of studying Colossians. Oh, and if you still haven’t made your way to their website please take time to check out all the awesome resources they have to help in Biblical parenting. They will be a blessing to you and your family!
The important information:
Because You Are Strong
Order from: Doorposts
Price: The softcover book is currently on sale for $12. (All of their Bible Studies are on sale until 8/31)The ebook sells for $10.
Click to read more reviews from the Schoolhouse Review Crew. Some of the crew reviewed Beauty in the Heart a Bible study written for girls.