Home in the Trenches Product Rating (out of 10 stars)
Is it worth our time? 7 stars
Did it help us learn? 7 stars
Is it worth the money? 5 stars
Is it useful to me? 6 stars
Practicality- 7 stars
Quality- 9 stars
Kid Rating- 6 stars
• Adult learners
• Dyslexic readers
• ESOL students
“I like the pictures. I also like most of the games. I think that it is the same thing over and over again. There’s no variety between the lessons.”
What I liked:
- For a student who thrives on repetition or gets easily flustered trying to learn a new concept and a new activity at the same time this app is perfect. The activities are very similar, if not identical in each level.
- Starts right at the beginning with letter recognition and moves all the way to a first grade reading level. This app/program really packs a lot of content into it!
- Loved the reading practice portion of the program. It was something very different than I have seen in other reading programs we have reviewed.
- The graphics are really good.
What I didn’t like:
- The app was crashing on my first-generation iPad. I’m having no problems with it on my iPad mini though.
It is very easy for your student to skip ahead to different lessons, or parts of lessons, without really understanding what is going on. I especially found this with my 4 year old. She spent a lot of time clicking around all of the lessons rather than just working through them in order. I would have liked the program to unlock different levels as a student completes the previous one.
- Faith thought the activities we too repetitious.
- The price seems high for an app. I needed to get it out of my head that it is an app and remember that it has the content of a complete reading program.
- Some of the words for the letter sounds were different. TH-thud with a rock. I-Italy…why not inchworm or something a little more common for a 4 or 5 year old phonics based program?
To sum it up: Take a moment and try out the first 10 lessons free with the lite version of Phonics and Reading with McGuffey. This might be a good fit for your student. While it wasn’t a favorite of my 2 girls they did enjoy using it and didn’t complain when I asked them to spend time working on it.
The important information:
Phonics and Reading with McGuffey app
|Get Phonics and Reading With McGuffey from the Apple App Store|
Click to read more reviews from the Schoolhouse Review Crew.